February 12, 2012

The pledge

The Pledge (The Pledge #1) by Kimberly Derting

"In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime."



I just loved this book. Start to finish. The world she writes about was easy for me to understand and it didn't take long before I started to think about the injustice of their system. Being interested in laungages, the way to use it as a weapon, to keep classes apart, is just brilliant.
However, even though I would love to know what's going to happen to them all, I felt like this book is good on it's own. I'm not sure a sequal is necessary, and I'm afraid it won't be good enough and kind of ruin it. Let's hope I'm wrong.

 Also, extra special THANK YOU to Joy for having a great giveaway, and sent me this book.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, Jo! This book has been on my TBR for AGES now. I'll definitely have to grab a copy soon :)

    Sam @ Realm of Ficton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you liked this, Jo :)

    ReplyDelete